Monday, September 17, 2012

Spanish, Dinosaurs, and Plants

Welcome to my homeschooling blog!  We have been busy homeschooling; so busy that  I have forgotten to update our blog on a daily basis!  Oops!  So here are some of the highlights from the last couple of days :)

We have been practicing our Spanish specifically using Whistlefritz DVDs from the public library and the free lessons from the Whistlefritz website.   In the picture below, we played a game in which we moved the paper cutout mouse "Fritzi" and the "cheese" cutout to discuss location.  We rolled the paper dice to decide where Fritzi and the cheese should go.   We also ate some cheese and practiced using the cheese in relation to myself and my son.  It was a fun lesson and we ate a lot of cheese :)



My son is obsessed with dinosaurs (if you have been following my blog you probably figured that out already).  We started the Magic School Bus Kit on Dinosaurs a long time ago and he pulls it out from time-to-time to do more in it.  It's not our "official" curriculum, but it's a great supplement. :)  Here is a picture of my son proudly standing next to his Magic School Bus Dinosaur Kit.  On this day we cut out some paper dinosaurs and discussed each one.

Another activity we did lately was to discuss how plants drink water.   We took some celery and placed it in a glass with blue food coloring and then discussed what happened to the celery.   My husband also got involved with this activity.  Here are some pictures:



Today we continued our discussion on plants by using the Dinosaur Train PBS Lesson called "Flowers the Last Forever".   We watched the relevant Dinosaur Train clips (multiple times because my son kept asking for more).   We discussed the development of flowers over time periods and that bees pollenate the flowers and drink the nectar.  And then we went outside to collect some flowers.   My son then glued the flowers onto a piece of paper and then drew his own flowers.   When I asked him who he wanted to give the "card" to, he immediately answered "Gigi!", which is his grandmother.  So that will be going into the mail tomorrow. :)   Here are some pictures:



As I just looked through my camera photos, I just realized that I have two more homeschooling related ones that were never posted :)   Here is a picture of my son painting at his art easle:

And here is a picture of the National Geographic Little Kids magazine that we finished reading the other day :)
Ok, now I think I am down getting caught up on our homeschooling blog :)  I'm going to try to stay more on top of this!  Have a good evening everyone! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment